Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Coconut Oil and Flaxseed Chocolate Chip Cookies

I realize my only posts so far have been re-makes of somebody else's, but you gotta start somewhere!!

 I recently came across this recipe on Pinterest using coconut oil in cookies instead of butter or vegetable oil. Although I hate the taste of coconut, I wanted to try a "healthier" version of cookies. I also added my own little twists.



First I creamed the coconut oil and brown sugar.


Actually first I preheated the oven. Wonder why no one takes pictures of that...? Anyways, I preheated the oven to 375 degrees.

Then I mixed 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal with 6  Tbsp water and let it sit for two minutes while I creamed the  oil and sugar. 

Then I added in the flaxseed egg substitute and vanilla extract. 





Now, the directions tell you next to mix all the dry ingredients in the a separate bowl. I say phooey!! Why make yet ANOTHER dirty bowl??? Instead, I gently mix all the dry ingredients on top of the wet ones, then mix it all together. Voila! I just saved you a dirty bowl. :p



Finally, add the chocolate chips. I added a whole bag, but it seemed like maybe there was a bit too much chocolate (Gasp! Yes it's possible. Even my chocoholic mother agreed there was perhaps just a bit to much chocolate. It overwhelmed the cookie). So you may want to add half or 3/4 of a bag. 



I use a tablespoon to scoop out the cookies and drop them on a cookie sheet. Or you could just eat the dough. Hey, its eggless!!! 
Bake for 8-9 min. As you can see, the cookies didn't spread out too much. But I am at high altitude so it may be related to that. Or it could be related to the fact that I totally forgot to add the baking soda. You decide. The cookies were pretty crispy on the bottom, but soft in the center. There may have been a mild coconut flavor, but it was barely noticeable, especially with the overabundance of chocolate. Pretty yummy!! 

Mind you, these are not totally healthy for you, because they still have refined flour and sugar. I'm not quite ready to start using spelt or coconut flour, and I wasn't sure how honey would turn out in cookies. Guess I'll have to do some experimenting! But I'd say this was a good start, and a delicious way to get some fiber!




Coconut Oil and Flaxseed Chocolate Chip Cookies


1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup + 1 TBS brown sugar, packed
2 TBS. flaxseed meal + 6 TBS water, let sit for 2 min. 
1 TBS. pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips (more or less, to taste)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream coconut oil and sugar, then add the flaxseed egg replacement and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour, salt, and baking powder on top of liquid ingredients, stir gently to incorporate dry ingredients, then mix with liquids. Add chocolate chips. Drop onto cookie sheet and bake for 8-9 min until edges are just brown. Let cool on sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to cooling rack. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment