Monday, May 20, 2013

Flats and Hand Washing Challenge: Day 1



This week I am participating in the 3rd Annual Flats and Hand Washing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry. I also decided to be clever and sign up to be a blogger. Since I use this blog SO much. :p

You may ask, "Why did you decide to take the challenge?" And in the famous words of Tevye from Fiddler on the Roof: 

"I'll tell you........................ I don't know." 


Maybe it was the the tantalizing idea of washing soiled diapers in my sink/bathtub, or the calling of DH not help with a diaper for an entire week.  Actually, he doesn't help with diapers much anyways, so I guess it wasn't that. ;) 

Honestly, when I read the purpose of the challenge was to raise awareness of how some families really struggle with affording diapers, and how affordable and easy flat diapers are, I knew I had to participate. As someone who is strongly pro-life, I recognize that we must provide resources for those who are saved from the horror of abortion, which is why I am a huge fan of crisis pregnancy centers. They provide education, training, resources etc to parents in the face of unplanned pregnancy. Having this kind of "training" could be of great benefit to some of the families seeking assistance from these centers. Diapers can be expensive, but they don't have to be. I wanted to take this challenge so I can tell others "Hey, I've done it. I put my kid in diapers made of old t-shirts and receiving blankets. I washed them by hand. And it wasn't bad at all."  

I also took the challenge because frankly I had never used flats before and I wanted to explore more of the cloth diapering world. Sure, pocket diapers are fun, but can you really call yourself a cloth diaper enthusiast without ever having pad-folded a flat? :p

Finally, I took the challenge to prove I could do it. Its fun to try something new and different, and to stand out a little. For me, the process of deciding to participate was slow and subtle. I started collecting receiving blankets, old shirts, etc without really knowing what I was collecting them for. The challenge was in the back of my mind, but I still wasn't sure if I wanted to do it. Then one day I just decided I needed to take the plunge and sign up. So I did. And I've been freaking out every day since, until today. Just washed a few of the flats from this morning, and it wasn't so bad. I think I can do this after all. =D

Come back tomorrow, and I'll let you guys know more about how I prepped for the challenge, what supplies I bought/made, etc. 

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the day goes!
Deo Volente,
Breanna

No comments:

Post a Comment