Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Flats and Hand-Washing Challenge: Day 2

This week I am participating in the 3rd Annual Flats and Hand Washing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.

Today I'm going to share with you guys about how I prepped for the challenge. Actually, I should say "prepped" for the challenge, because I did almost nothing to prepare and I was completely freaking out about it. 

Flats:

I began slowly gathering supplies when I heard about the challenge, even though I wasn't sure I was going to participate. I found a stack of old receiving blankets at the thrift store for 0.25c each, I got old t-shirts from my mother-in-law, and a couple hemp flats from my neighbor. All together, I have 7 receiving blankets, 6 t-shirt flats, and 2 hemp flats. It cost me $2. However, it would have cost me more had I actually bought the hemp flats and t-shirts instead of borrowing them.

The t-shirt flats are made by cutting off the sleeves, then cutting down the sides to make 2 almost rectangular pieces. They are then folded down to a square, and folded into a diaper. Like so:




  Covers, snaps, snappis, etc:
I only have two covers, both borrowed from my beautiful neighbor {Update: On day 3 my neighbor gave me two more covers, so for about half the challenge I used a total of 4 covers}. One is an EcoBum snap cover, the other is a hook and loop cover (not sure of the brand). If I use the snap cover, I like to use diaper pins to hold the flat in place. I only have two of these as well, also from my beautiful neighbor. I do not have any snappis or any other form of clasp, but it sure would be nice! My cost for this section is, obviously, $0. But covers run about $8-12 each, and having more than two is probably better. So if you're interested in price, you can guesstimate. I could also use any of my pocket diapers as covers, but then I'd have to hand wash those as well, and I'm not too keen on that idea... ;) 

Wipes:
I found at the thrift store a couple blankets that were jersey material instead of flannel. I had grand plans to cut them up into wipes. I paid $0.50 for two of them, but I never cut them. Instead, I decided to use the 22 unused wash cloths I had stashed in a drawer. I never use wash cloths with my DS, but I was given a lot. So I decided to finally put them to good use. I also made a wipe solution using water, coconut oil, and baby wash. I put it in an old glasses cleaner spray bottle, so I can just spray his bum, then use one of the wipes. I wash them with the flats. Works great! 

Extras:
I use my sink to wash, and 7th Generation Free and Gentle detergent. I hang my flats on the shower rod, or the front porch during the day as it gets a lot of sun. In this way I've been able to keep my costs at pretty much nothing. I also use the toilet to let Squishy go pee or poop if I notice he needed to go, or to rinse out a poopy diaper.



I think that pretty much does it for supplies!! So my total cost is just about $2. BAM. I have never been able to diaper my child for cheaper than that. I doubt anyone can... ;p

There is SO much more you can do with flats, you don't have to be quite as frugal as I have been.  You can buy more flats, more covers, make a "camp style" washer, buy supplies for clothes lines, etc. Click here to read about what one mom did, and then scroll to the bottom to see what other bloggers have done. 

I'll be back again tomorrow to talk more about the challenge. Anything in particular you want me to cover?

Deo Volente,
Breanna

No comments:

Post a Comment